Skip to main content

The Three Little Pigs



One summer afternoon I saw a talking wolf
It asked me for help but I could only gawk
“Come into my home” it said, I just want to talk
I accepted, entering the door with no lock
               
Its house was much cleaner than I  expected
And for some reason he had a vibe I respected
Out of his house a hit list he erected
It had three names which I inspected
               
On the hit list were the names of three little pigs
He told me “I want to snap them like twigs
“Jeez” I said, “Why are you so angry?
“They’re so fat and plump” he said blankly
               
He told me, “They live in this little town
They have three houses that I want to blow down
Basically all three of them are little clowns
I need some help so are you down?”
               
“You know”, I said, “That’s a little messed up
I don’t know what these pigs have done but you need to back up
They look nice, lives I would not want to disrupt    
So all I can say to you is, tough luck!"


Important
While Reading this poem you may have noticed that words are missing from the ends of each line. That is because while writing this poem I was confined to a rectangular box.
However if you 
HIGHLIGHT
the poem you will see the missing words
By Rahi Miraftab-Salo

Comments

  1. This is a very clever idea, and it was satisfying to see the missing words one I got to the end. I found myself trying to fill in the blanks with an ABAB rhyme scheme, and it was a surprise to see that the poem actually had an AAAA BBBB scheme. I like how you used font size to create a more regular rectangular "box." Very creative solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so confused the first time, because you can see some of the missing words in the preview. When I highlighted over the poem, all the lines clicked and were a joy to read. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! It was an eye-opening experience seeing just how much each word at the end of the line provides so much context to the poem, and how confusing it is without them. It was a very creative way of allowing people to quickly see the missing words, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this, I must admit I sort of skimmed it on my first read wondering what it could all possibly mean. But when I read the paragraph at the end I realized what was going on and went back to the poem and reread it. I enjoyed the poem and the perceptive that you wrote in. I liked how angry you made the wolf and added to the story in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! The use of different font sizes threw me off at first, I must admit. But it was incredibly clever to have several words be white so you can only see them when you highlight over them! Almost like invisible ink. A great approach to thinking outside the box :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cake Poem

Poem on how to make cake: "It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake If the way is hazy You gotta do the cooking by the book You know you can’t be lazy! "        -Stephanie (LazyTown) Baking a cake is a piece of cake If you follow these instructions. Don't give yourself a headache since we're just at the introduction. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and get out an 8-inch round pan. I think we will all agree putting wax paper on the bottom will make your prouder. Then butter the paper, for the next step it's key, since then you dust it with coca powder. Grab a bowl and give your hands a shower, then throw in 3/4 cups of flour, 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, to make your cake taste wonderful with no fault. In another, add 1 cup of sugar and 3/4 of butter. Beat it until it's light and fluffy, and slowly beat 3 eggs in while it's still puffy. Add vanilla, 1 teaspoon,

Why Programmers Should Read Poetry

            Programming and poetry are like two sides of the same coin. They are inherently very different, with programming being very heavily related to math and poetry being an expressive form of literature. However, they both share numerous similarities whilst being completely different subjects, which can make poetry helpful for programmers. The importance of structure in poetry could be one thing that can help programmers write their code. They both are similar in the way that they break themselves up into blocks or stanzas. While not necessary in either, breaking the text up can make it easier to read or add more meaning in the case of poetry. The importance that poetry places on intricacies of things like grammar can also help coders with various things. With how much the meaning of poetry can change just by a piece of punctuation, it ends up being very similar to code, as one missed semicolon or bracket could end up messing up the entire program. If a programmer were to rea