Skip to main content

American Poetry's Letter Home

Hey,

Hopefully things back home are going well.  My stay in England’s been going great! The plane actually managed to land early.  How about that - even more time for sightseeing! I decided to take a walk around town and see some of the sights that the country had to offer.  The highlight was seeing London’s Big Ben clock tower for the first time in person, which was pretty neat. It was huge, and I must say that it looks a bit imposing when you stand in front of it.

As I walked around, I had the opportunity to meet many different people, and learn a little bit about what they were like.  The first person that I met was named Don Juan. He talked about his father Lord Byron a little bit, ultimately characterizing him as a questionable sort of fellow.  I told him to tell me about himself, and he started to tell me in a long-winded way (seventeen parts to the story before he became too tired to continue) about how he is easily seduced by women and detailed his various sexual exploits.  I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
The next person that I met never told me his name.  He merely spoke of a grecian urn and the beautiful pastoral scenes that it depicted.  He talked about the permanence of the frozen scenes on the urn, and how they will be around forever, teaching generations of people what life was like.
Last, as I was standing at a crosswalk, a very religious blind man bumped into me.  He said that he was considering how his light was spent, which somewhat confused me.  The man told me in an extremely convoluted manner punctuated with religious references that since he had lost his eyesight, he was wondering whether God needs his servants to possess eyesight.  I told him that I wasn’t really sure what to say about that, and wished him good luck with finding the answer.

I wonder what other sorts of interesting folks I’ll get to meet in the coming days.  I’ll keep you posted.

Signed,

American Poetry

Comments

  1. This is a very creative idea! I like how you included other poems into your letter as characters. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I like your characterizations of the Byron, Keats, and Milton poems. It would be cool to find some ways to characterize American poetry as well. How are they different from these British poems that they encounter while in England? Good post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cake Poem

Poem on how to make cake: "It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake If the way is hazy You gotta do the cooking by the book You know you can’t be lazy! "        -Stephanie (LazyTown) Baking a cake is a piece of cake If you follow these instructions. Don't give yourself a headache since we're just at the introduction. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and get out an 8-inch round pan. I think we will all agree putting wax paper on the bottom will make your prouder. Then butter the paper, for the next step it's key, since then you dust it with coca powder. Grab a bowl and give your hands a shower, then throw in 3/4 cups of flour, 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, to make your cake taste wonderful with no fault. In another, add 1 cup of sugar and 3/4 of butter. Beat it until it's light and fluffy, and slowly beat 3 eggs in while it's still puffy. Add vanilla, 1 teaspoon,

Why Programmers Should Read Poetry

            Programming and poetry are like two sides of the same coin. They are inherently very different, with programming being very heavily related to math and poetry being an expressive form of literature. However, they both share numerous similarities whilst being completely different subjects, which can make poetry helpful for programmers. The importance of structure in poetry could be one thing that can help programmers write their code. They both are similar in the way that they break themselves up into blocks or stanzas. While not necessary in either, breaking the text up can make it easier to read or add more meaning in the case of poetry. The importance that poetry places on intricacies of things like grammar can also help coders with various things. With how much the meaning of poetry can change just by a piece of punctuation, it ends up being very similar to code, as one missed semicolon or bracket could end up messing up the entire program. If a programmer were to rea

The Three Little Pigs

One summer afternoon I saw a talking  wolf It asked me for help but I could only  gawk “Come into my home” it said, I just want to  talk I accepted, entering the door with no  lock                 Its house was much cleaner than I   expected And for some reason he had a vibe I  respected Out of his house a hit list he  erected It had three names which I  inspected                 On the hit list were the names of three little  pigs He told me “I want to snap them like  twigs ” “Jeez” I said, “Why are you so  angry? ” “They’re so fat and plump” he said  blankly                 He told me, “They live in this little  town They have three houses that I want to blow  down Basically all three of them are little  clowns I need some help so are you  down?”                 “You know”, I said, “That’s a little messed  up I don’t know what these pigs have done but you need to back  up They look nice, lives I would not want to  disrupt      So al